3135 K St., NW
“The home of Dixieland music.”
Room capacity of 450 (some claim it held 500).
Opened 1953. Jazz continued until at least 1964. Club sold in 1998 to Millennium Partners and Eastbanc, Inc. Last show December 31, 1998.
Recordings by Coleman Hawkins (1959).
“From 1953 until the early ’60s, the Bayou thrived with Dixieland, following that with a brief run as an exotic dance club. It first became associated with rock in the mid ’60s, when the Telstars became the new house band.” (WP 12/30/98 p.D4)
Owner Vincent Tramonte and brother and Mike Munley (1953-), Dave Williams and Jack Boyle [Cellar Door Productions] (1980-1997), John Boyle (1997-1998).
- Wild Bill Whelan (1953-1963)